Advertisement

Main Ad

I love Haflong Hindi


          Hindi, being our national language or Rastriya Bhasha, I love it very much. The vocabulary mixed with Urdu makes her very polite and sweet as honey but after coming to Haflong I love Haflong Hindi.
Some of my friends and would be friends at times feel shy while speaking Hindi and they would say, “I don’t know real hindi, I speak only in Haflong Hindi without any grammar.” I think there is nothing wrong in Haflong hindi. Language is only a medium of communication and Haflong Hindi Communicates much more than idea, feels, emotions. What is beautiful about  Haflong Hindi is that when we communicate with someone we not only communicate the idea or the concept but who we are, our community identity. When a person speaks hindi in Bazar you know from his tone and choice of words that he come from Dimasa, Zeme, Kuki,Hmar, Hrangkhol, etc. Community. And according to me it is unique and beautiful. In a small town hindi has so many variation like Dimasa hindi, Naga hindi, Kuki Hindi, Hmar Hindi, Hrangkhol hindi, etc.

There are very few people in India speak pure Hindi. Let me say, being a Gujarati myself, we mix little Hindi while speaking Gujarati and in the same we mix a lot of Gujarati while speaking Hindi. It is mutual sharing of words. If you like to know this phenomena of Gujuarati-Hindi then watch a hindi movie like  “Kichchadi”. After serving more than 10 years in Army I do hear a Panjabi officer mix gloriously Panjabi words in Hindi while speaking. In the same way we in Haflong mix a little Nepali, Bangali, Assamese and sometimes God knows what, but it is good at least we speak Rastriya Bhasha.
First time when some one reply to my question “Kaise ho?” he said  “Koi surat”. I did not understand how this word came to Haflong. It is used by Pathans in Gujarat. Then I came to know that there is the Khan family. The hindi spoken during British times with the Khan family’s contribution is seen in this greeting. So Haflong Hindi is Historic or has history.
Finally, when you love people you love everything about them. And I love Dima Hasao and I love beautiful Haflong and I love Haflong Hindi.

Fr.Nilesh Parmar (Jonthai)
Gunjung

Post a Comment

0 Comments